Not Surprised - Tito's Killer May Walk

The news hit where it hurts, but it was no surprise to me. A car has more rights than you or I walking or bicycling. It's a conclusion that I sadly came to years ago.  This possible latest ruling simply proves my point and here's why we shouldn't be angry at it.    
Images 2021/4/26-1

I have a question for all my readers. How do you get to work?  If your asnwer was "by car" then then question I have for you is why?  Why was your first answers "by car" and not walking, not using VIA and finally, not using your bicycle for it says a lot on why people drive drunk and yet we're angry about someone driving home drunk.  

My point is this:  As long as you cannot imagine getting home a different way other than driving, then we as a society shouldn't complain about drunk driving for how are people going to get home after getting drunk?  Yes I can hear my readers scream Uber, Lyft and a taxi cab, but how many people have money for those options on any given night? But if you can't get around to do any errands without a car, then what makes you think that a drunk person would be able to get home without a car? I don't and didn't have money for a cab after getting wasted in my younger years, but I didn't own a car when those things happened. I rode home by VIA and then by bicycle. I am able to do this because I grew up with the mindset of using transit first and have a sense of responsibility.  Sadly, San Antonions don't have that mindset.  Even the most poorest person would rather belive that there's a $50 Trek 4300 for sale out there than ever taking the bus. That single act alone tells me everything that I need to know about the punishment waiting for the killer of Dr Naji Kayruz.    

Now things aren't going to change overnight but I'm trying to change things here on the local level with the 2021 Bicycle Voter's Guide. (Image 2021/4/26-2)  My goal is when Tito's son grow up and starts to ride a Fixie, he'll have access to a network of protected bike lanes, not just trails that close down after sunset.

I

Images 2021/4/26-2

Now as for District Attorney Kristina Escalona, she has wrote on Facebook that she intends to run for the 2022 Democratic ballot in the 186th District Court. As I read this from Via Velo SATX, I am wondering should I do a campaign to support one of the primary challenges or support her Republican opposition in the main election. As a rule I don't like to get into national politics. The tribialism is too divisive to say the least. I'm for one do not care who wins as long as they are pro-bicycle and pro-transit and I don't think I'll have the time to do any Voter's guide for that particular election.  If she wins the primary I will be voting for the Republican running against her. If that Upsets people, well it's upsetting to see the people in our justice system actions prove that a car has more rights than you or I walking or bicycling.  

Here's the thing, drunk driving is here to stay despite all the new technologies coming around. We either help create the built environment that encourages people to use different types of transportation to get around or we hope and pray to have a DA doesn't have compassion throws the book at every single potential criminal.  

Images 2021/4/26-3
There's only one day left to vote early in the City Council election, April 27, 2021.  I hope everyone gets out and vote and get their friends who only vote in a presidential election to the polls.  Election Day is May 1, 2021 For if you don't, it will be mean the difference between the current keep San Antonio Lame infrastructure that lead to drunk drivers killing people like Beatrice Gonzales, or protected bicycle lanes that damage drunk driver's car before the murdering.  It's literally in your hand San Antonio.

Images:

Images 2021/4/26-1:  Tito's Father saying one last goodbye at the memorial service on April 3, 2021

Images 2021/4/26-2:  A picture of my handout of the 2021 Bicycle Voter's Guide.  The handout can be obtain for printing by clicking here:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/17iqLDJFUffyYtu4se2OaIrc6rTqFLgP7/view

Images 2021/4/26-3:  https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=300882718075936&id=100044626290322

Links:

 Intoxicated drivers are a problem for cyclists in San Antonio:  https://iambillybusby.com/2021/04/20/intoxicated-drivers-are-a-problem-for-cyclists-in-san-antonio/

2021 Bicycle Voter's Guide:  https://aatblog210.blogspot.com/p/bicycle-voters-guide-2021.html

Woman accused of killing cyclist Tito Bradshaw may not serve jail time, family says plea deal on the table:  https://www.kens5.com/mobile/article/news/community/bradshaw-family/273-6578709e-b64f-40ca-9dc7-0365aca64373?tag1=kensshare

Woman charged in hit-and-run death of San Antonio surgeon asks court for her BMW back:  https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2021/04/07/woman-charged-in-hit-and-run-death-of-san-antonio-surgeon-asks-court-for-her-bmw-back/ 

 San Antonio biking community mourns loss of cyclist struck by alleged drunk driver:  https://www.kens5.com/mobile/article/news/community/sa-biking-community/273-da2c88f4-e926-44ce-be17-ed45e7c7e95e

Why We’re Still Decades Away From Self-Driving Cars:  https://roboticsandautomationnews.com/2021/01/21/why-were-still-decades-away-from-self-driving-cars/39827/

  Why we’re still years away from having self-driving cars:  https://www.vox.com/recode/2020/9/25/21456421/why-self-driving-cars-autonomous-still-years-away

 Experts say we're decades from fully autonomous cars. Here's why:  https://www.businessinsider.com/self-driving-cars-fully-autonomous-vehicles-future-prediction-timeline-2019-8

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Propaganda that Makes Transportation Sucks / Part II - Why Transportation sucks in America

All Transportation Requires WELFARE, Always Has / Part III Why Transportation sucks in America

The Consequences of our Transporation System/ Part I - Why Transportation Sucks in America